Thursday, November 13, 2014

Writing Journal

I love for my kids to have Bible time and last year I let it be self-driven. This year as a small part of our writing journal, there are days that feature Bible verses. When I first started this, I was think of student/teacher convo journals where you can write back and forth to each other. I also realized that many times while I am grading, my son is working. Making the optimal time for me to talk to him about what he wrote a bit awkward. So, I just started writing back in the journal and asking additional, clarifying questions or suggested other thoughts or even another Bible verse for him to read and write his thoughts about. We do this one a week and I find it interesting. I love reading his thoughts...somehow it is really different then hearing him speak the same things.

The writing journal is also used for follow up, subject centered, writing assignments and personal reflections. For the subject based assignment I use a quote, or send him to a website or a cartoon and ask him to reflect, or summarize, or create, or defend, or write a letter...anything that is writing focused and shorter in nature. Bigger writing assignments take too long and it gets messy in the journal. We use GoogleDocs for larger, more detailed writing assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment